We are continuing in the series on the Truth and particularly on Progressive Christianity.
Read 2 Timothy 3:10-17
10 You, however, know all about my teaching, my way of life, my purpose, faith, patience, love, endurance, 11 persecutions, sufferings—what kinds of things happened to me in Antioch, Iconium and Lystra, the persecutions I endured. Yet the Lord rescued me from all of them. 12 In fact, everyone who wants to live a godly life in Christ Jesus will be persecuted, 13 while evildoers and impostors will go from bad to worse, deceiving and being deceived. 14 But as for you, continue in what you have learned and have become convinced of, because you know those from whom you learned it, 15 and how from infancy you have known the Holy Scriptures, which are able to make you wise for salvation through faith in Christ Jesus. 16 All Scripture is God-breathed and is useful for teaching, rebuking, correcting and training in righteousness, 17 so that the servant of God[a] may be thoroughly equipped for every good work.
Christians see the inspiration of the Bible is coming wholly from God and therefore that the text in its original format is inerrant.
- It does not have mistakes or contradictions.
- Our Assertion that the Bible is inspired and inerrant is rooted in our doctrine of God – as God is true and trustworthy and able to do all things, therefore He is able to give man Scripture that is true and trustworthy.
We must however, realize that translators do not have the same level of inspiration that the writers of Scriptures had.
- Many translations today have, as their reason for existence, an economic base.
- Bibles sell.
- Many of today’s translations come to us from a specific theological standpoint including liberal theology, feminism, progressive Christianity, any of a variety of theological standpoints.
- Several are not even translations.
- These should not be used as your primary source of study or teaching the Word of God.
- Some are paraphrases.
- We cannot claim inerrancy when obviously side by side four or five English translations or paraphrases are so clearly different.
- These are more human than God breathed.
- What this means is that you need to find the best translation for personal use and for teaching the Word.
This means that the Bible is a credible, accurate and a God-given guide for faith and life.
- It is unlike and superior in every way to any other sacred writing.
- Based on our view of God, our belief in inspiration and the understanding that the Word is inerrant in its original format, believers affirm that the Bible is the Word of God and must be read, studied and obeyed.
- We trust the Author and we therefore trust His revelation as sufficient.
“There are some, for example, who affirm Scripture’s inspiration but reject its inerrancy. This limited inerrancy view sounds, at first glance, evangelical: “I believe Scripture is true in its message of faith.” But on further investigation, this position denies Scripture is true in all that it asserts. Yes, it is true in its gospel message, but beyond that it may error in its specifics.”
Ironically, this view claims it can still herald sola scriptura, as if Scripture is still the final authority.
The problem is, this view cannot claim Scripture is its final inerrant authority, which is what the church has always assumed in proclaiming sola scriptura.
What are you going to base your faith, your life and your eternity on?
- A hodge-podge of writings from false religions and philosophy or the Eternal Word of God?
- What has Authority in your life?
- Who are you listening to when you need marriage advice, when you face temptations and when your life falls apart?
- The self-help gurus? Some random YouTube post or the Bible?
The rise of Progressive Christianity can be closely linked to the Church’s laziness to study God’s Word and the weakness of pastors in the pulpit when it comes to sound Biblical teaching which is also practical.
- Saying that we don’t want doctrine, we only want Jesus is a cop-out and a lie from the devil.
- Trying to be inclusive is to infuriate the jealousy of God and is tantamount to idolatry.
- To elevate the words of Jesus and deny the writings of the Apostles is to reject all of God’s Word and
- To choose only those Scriptures that allow me to continue in my sin is foolishness.
Speaking of the Bible an unknown author said:
This book contains: the mind of God, the state of man, the way of salvation, the doom of sinners, and the happiness of believers. Its doctrine is holy, its precepts are binding, its histories are true, and its decisions are immutable. Read it to be wise, believe it to be saved, and practice it to be holy. It contains light to direct you, food to support you, and comfort to cheer you. It is the traveler’s map, the pilgrim’s staff, the pilot’s compass, the soldier’s sword, and the Christian’s charter. Here heaven is opened, and the gates of hell disclosed. Christ is its grand subject, our good its design, and the glory of God its end. It should fill the memory, rule the heart, and guide the feet. Read it slowly, frequently, and prayerfully. It is a mine of wealth, health to the soul, and a river of pleasure. It is given to you here in this life, will be opened at the Judgment, and is established forever. It involves the highest responsibility, will reward the greatest labor, and condemn all who trifle with its contents.